The Hastings Highlands Bylaw Department investigates damages to livestock caused by wildlife. The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (OWDC) provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry and honey bees have been damaged by wildlife. When a producer (the owner of livestock, poultry or bees) believes that they have suffered a loss of livestock, poultry or bees due to predation the owner should immediately notify the municipal Livestock Valuer, Dawn Bowers at (613) 338-2811 Ext. 235 or via email at [email protected]
The Livestock Valuer will immediately make a full investigation and submit a written report to the Municipal Clerk within 10 days. A copy of the report is also provided to the producer of livestock, poultry or bees.
The OWDC requires that a producer meet certain criteria to be eligible under the program. Some of the requirements are as follows:
- Be a sole proprietor, corporation, partnership or unincorporated association
- Have a valid Farm Business Registration number
- Have a Premises Identification number
- The weight of poultry injured or killed must be more than 25 kilograms
- Must demonstrate to the valuer that reasonable effort has been taken to prevent incidences of wildlife damage to livestock, poultry, beehives, bee colonies or beehive related equipment to be eligible for a claim