Services & Departments
The Municipality of Hastings Highlands provides depot service for the collection of all waste, including garbage and recycling. Our waste management operations are governed by the Municipality of Hastings Highlands Waste Management Bylaw and individual Certificates of Approval for each waste management site.
Non‐bagged brush, furniture, appliances and other materials must be taken to the Landfill sites
during normal hours as per the below schedule (see pdf's), and may be subject to tipping fees.
For further information call 613‐338‐2811 – Ext. 288 to speak to the Adrian Tomasini, Operations Manager.
Any Waste sites that are normally open on Sundays, 'may' be open Holiday Mondays as well. Please see pdf's at the bottom of this page for the Waste Site hours of operation.
Why do I need a Pass?
Only waste generated in Hastings Highlands is allowed to be disposed of at our municipal waste sites. The Ministry of the Environment regulates landfills and in order to remain compliant we must ensure that only residents of this municipality are depositing waste at our landfills. For this reason, site staff will not allow you to dispose of your garbage without the Landfill Pass.
Temporary passes will be available for property owners with seasonal rentals. These passes must be arranged by the owner through the municipal office. Renters showing up at the site without an authorized pass will not be allowed to deposit waste at the site.
Please contact Kim Helkaa 613-338-2811 ext 200 for Short Term Rental (STR) Passes.
Clear Bag Waste Disposal Policy for Garbage:
*NO BLACK OR DARK GREEN or TINTED GARBAGE BAGS ACCEPTED!* CLEAR BAGS ONLY FOR GARBAGE
FOR RECYCLING - please don't put drop your plastic bags into the recycle bins. Please empty out your bag into the bin, or take your recycling to the landfill site in a cardboard box or a recycle bin available from our office. *Please dump recyclables LOOSE into the bins *
Our clear bag waste policy is attached at the bottom of ths page as a document titled "Clear Bag Waste Disposal Policy"
All garbage must be placed in clear bags. All bags must be clear so contents are visible by landfill attendants. Dark coloured, brown, black or green bags are not permitted.
One solid colour plastic bag (such as a white kitchen bag, plastic grocery bag, etc.) will be permitted in each clear bag for personal items.
PLEASE SEE THE Wate Management Document at the bottom of the page titled Garbage/Recycling at Waste Disposal Site Instructions
The Waste Attendants should be able to determine that there are no recyclable or hazardous waste materials in garbage bags or going into our landfills. If any recyclable materials or prohibited waste are found within the bags, the bags will be refused or the Attendant will ask you to remove and properly sort the waste.
Illegal dumping is the dumping of waste anywhere except at an approved waste disposal site. This includes in the woods, along the side of the road, on private property, in someone else’s dumpster without permission, or at the gate of a waste management site. Illegal dumping is costly to taxpayers and damaging to the environment. Incidents of illegal dumping are investigated by the Bylaw Enforcement Officer, and offenders could receive fines of $2000 per incident.
Household Battery Recycling:
We have a container in our Lobby in Maynooth for Household Battery Recyling. Please come by and drop off your used Household batteries.
Living in Bear Country:
Hastings Highlands is bear country and bears love garbage. But with careful management of your waste, you can reduce the chance of attracting bears to your property:
Do not stockpile garbage. Take it to the landfill frequently.
Keep meat scraps and cooked food waste in the freezer until you are ready to take it to the landfill.
Store garbage in a bear-resistant container, secure shed or garage.
Never put meat, bones, fish or dairy products in your compost bin.
For more information on what you can do to reduce the chance of attracting bears to your home or cottage, visit the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) Bear Wise website. To report a bear problem, contact the MNR Bear Reporting Line at 1-866-514-2327, TTY 705-945-7671. In an immediate emergency, call your local police or 9-1-1.
Waste Management Documents
- Design and Operations Plan- East Lake WDS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- Wolf Creek WDS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- Sand Bay WTS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- Papineau WDS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- North Baptiste WTS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- Musclow Greenview WDS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- Hickey Road WDS2019-05-09
- Design and Operations Plan- South Baptiste WDS2019-05-09
- 2018 Hickey WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 East Lake WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 Musclow Greenview WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 North Baptiste WTS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 Papineau WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 Lake St. Peter WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 Wolf Creek WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 Sand Bay WTS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2018 South Baptiste WDS Annual Report2019-04-25
- 2019 049 Disposal of Waste Bylaw2019-04-23
- 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Schedule2019-02-04
- 2019 Waste Tipping Fees (pdf)2019-01-16
- 2018-2019 Winter Landfill Hours2018-10-10
- Clean Municipality Bylaw 2018-0742018-06-26
- Km from Bancroft to all the Waste Sites (pdf)2018-05-16
- North Baptiste Landfill Notice2018-02-23
- Request For Service Form re: Waste Dept. (pdf)2018-02-09
- Municipal Landfill Assessment2017-04-11
- Residents Notice - no Curbside Collection for 2015 (pdf)2014-11-27